This post is for a series called “Quick Guide to Benchmark Advance,” which helps teachers with the basics.
Many people have been asking about what supplies they might need or want for implementing Benchmark Advance. I’ve compiled a list of supplies you may find useful. I recommend getting your feet wet with the program first and then deciding on what you need that will complement your teaching style. And of course, see what your school provides, first! The list below includes items that I personally used on a regular basis during ELA.
- Chart Paper and Fun Markers
There are lots of charts to make during lessons. I personally keep giant post-it sticky posters and a roll of white butcher paper on hand at all times.
- Tools for Annotating
Students are taught to annotate beginning in Kinder!
– Flair pens for modeling annotations
– Pencils or erasable pens
– Colored pencils
– Post-it notes to annotate in leveled readers (these books are not consumable!)
- Student Organization
My students travel with the following from whole-group to small groups.
– Two-pocket folder
What goes inside the folders?
- Student consumable text (Texts for Close Reading)
- Text-Dependent Questions Bookmarks to use during read-to-self station
- The Close Reading Companion pages for the unit to be used during whole and small groups. I staple them as one booklet for each unit.
- Word Work Pamphlets to use during the word work station
- Writing Companions to start together in whole-group and complete in the writing station
Click on the links to read the posts included in this “Quick Guide” series.
- SUPPLY LIST: A short list of items you may want to purchase for your students
- MATERIALS OVERVIEW: A shortcut page to reference materials in the program
- WHOLE VS. SMALL GROUP INSTRUCTION: What everyone is doing and using in whole and small group time
- PLANNING: Tips for planning a unit and week effectively
- TEACHER TIPS: Advice from teachers who are already using the program
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small commission
if you click on one of the links and make a purchase. This does not affect the cost of the item for you.