The Mentor Texts Writing Prompts Series is a collection of writing prompts to be used alongside various picture books. Students will practice responding to reading by writing to sources. This file includes five writing prompts designed to give students the opportunity to read a familiar mentor text, analyze a writing prompt, find text evidence, draft, revise/edit, and finally publish.The picture books that go with these prompts all have an Autumn/Fall theme.
How can I use this resource?
– Whole group direct teaching
– In a literacy center
– During Writer’s Workshop
– Homework for extra practice
– As test prep
Included in This File:
– “How to Use This Resource” Teacher Guide
– A book list with links to purchase each mentor text on Amazon
– Links to the mentor texts read aloud on YouTube
– “Analyze the Prompt” student writing prompt page that allows them to analyze the prompt using a color coded system
– “Find Text Evidence” student page that allows students to cite, quote, and paraphrase evidence from their source(s)
– “Draft” student page
– “Revise & Edit” student page that allows students to use a simple strategy for revising and editing their drafts
– Publishing writing pages (with different lines)
Mentor Texts to Use With This Resource (not included):
1. Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (*This prompt requires students to use this book plus one additional source. The additional source is found by the students, so this incorporates research writing standards.)
2. Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds
3. Applesauce Day by Lisa J. Amstutz
4. The Apple Orchard Riddle by Margaret McNamara
5. Bone Soup by Cambria Evans
6. Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak
* Books 3 and 4 are used together in one prompt, so students use both sources in their writing.
* Please see preview before purchasing!
* This does not come with student writing samples.
© Markers and Minions
This file comes with one license per purchase. Please respect the time and effort put into my resources by not giving them away to others. If someone you know is interested in owning a license to use this resource, they can purchase an additional license for a discount. This file cannot be reproduced, altered, translated, or redistributed in any way. Doing so is a violation of copyright.
Permission is granted to copy pages specifically for student or teacher use only by the original purchaser or licensee. The reproduction of the product for another use is prohibited. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the Internet (even a personal/classroom website) is prohibited.
Click the green star to follow my shop!