This word study resource is a daily 10-minute teaching routine that helps students learn the 6 syllable division rules. In addition, they will analyze spelling patterns, roots, affixes, phonemes, morphology, and syllabication.
Designed for grades 2-5, this resource will help your students unlock the code and become skilled readers and spellers. With engaging Google Slides presentations, a comprehensive teacher guide, and a student recording sheet, this resource is a must-have for any teacher looking to .
What’s Included In This Resource?
- (used to teach/analyze each word):
- There are a total of 40 words in your slide deck.
- There are six syllable division rules: VC|CV, VC|V, V|CV, C + le, VC|CCV + VCC|CV, and VC|CCCV.
- For each rule, there are 5 words. Adjust your pacing as needed.
- There is also a bonus set of 10 words at the end of the slide deck for mixed review.
- Not quite sure what the syllable division rules are? Or what a schwa vowel sound is? Or what to point out when focusing on morphology? Don’t worry… the teacher guide will walk you through all of this! It includes a detailed analysis of each word in your deck. From how to divide the word into syllables, to spelling patterns, to word parts, to pronunciation.
- If you want your students to follow along paper/pencil as you are analyzing the word(s) of the day, print out the student recording sheet so they can –
- identify the part of speech
- label syllables
- label short and long vowels
- circle digraphs, blends, glued sounds, vowel teams, or silent letters
- highlight roots, prefixes, and suffixes
What Does The Routine Look Like?
- Step 1: Prep by printing out your teacher guide and making copies of the student recording sheet
- Step 2: Put your Google Slides presentation in slideshow mode and as you work your way through the teacher guide mini-lesson, click for the animations to occur on the Slide
- You can do a word a day to complete a rule per week, OR
- You can do five words a day and cover all the division rules in just over a week (this would work well if you want to model the first 2 words and then have students complete the other 3 in pairs or independently)
Sharing makes teaching so much easier! To make this easy and legal for you to share with your team, please purchase one file per user. This is the best way to buy for your team or grade level without violating copyright. Thank you for respecting my work!
Interested in purchasing for a whole district? I accept POs! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go to your My Account page on my website and find your purchased resources under Downloads. Click on the resource you wish to leave a review for. Once on that product page, click on the Reviews tab and leave your comment. Doing so will give you credits that you can use towards the cost of your future purchases!
- Click to follow my TpT store
- Click to join my email community
- Click to follow me on Facebook
The resources you purchase are delivered electronically. Unlike a t-shirt or a book, you can’t return a PDF, PowerPoint or Google Doc, or another file. For that reason, all sales are considered final and nonrefundable. Please review resource descriptions, preview files, cover photos, and teacher reviews before purchasing.
© Markers and Minions. This product is my intellectual property. I own the resource, while you are purchasing a license to use it in your classroom with your students only. It may not be posted on a public website or shared Drive where others can download it. You may reference the resource with credit and a link is given. You may not translate or resell this resource.