This resource gives your students fun and engaging opportunities to play with words and develop strong foundational skills. There are thirty weeks included in this bundle, and each week focuses on a different spelling pattern. The activities include rhyming, phoneme manipulation, and word riddles. Use during whole class lessons, small group instruction, with individual students, or as independent center activities. These are ready to assign as digital Google Slides with embedded audio files that read the directions and questions to your first graders!
Check out the Scope and Sequence in the preview file for spelling patterns included. The spelling patterns and words align to the Benchmark Advance curriculum (CA + National Editions), but can be used in any classroom. If you are a Benchmark Advance 2021 Edition user, the spelling patterns will be the same, while the word lists will be slightly different (hey, it can just be some extra practice!).
✨ To have Unit 1 Week 1 emailed to you, click here.
Included in This Resource:
- Audio files that read aloud the directions and questions
- 30 weeks of spelling practice
- A different spelling focus for each week
- 3 drag-and-drop practice activities each week
- The rhyming slide asks students to read each word, sound it out, then identify the two rhyming words in each box.
- The substitution slides (2 per week) ask students to use the letter tiles to make new words.
- The word riddle slides (2 per week) are the most complex. Each riddle gives clues that relate to phonics and phonemic awareness.
Each Spelling Word Work Unit has:
- Embedded audio so you can just assign it and not have to read anything to your first graders
- The spelling focus in the lower right corner of each slide
- Interactive drag-and-drop Google Slides
- Students can self-correct with hidden answer key
What kinds of spelling patterns are covered in the units?
- Short vowels
- Long Vowels
- R-Controlled Vowels
- Silent Letters
What digital format does this come in?
This comes as interactive Google Slides. If you are a Microsoft Teams user, simply convert the file to a PowerPoint and it will be ready to use! Open the Google Slides, click File > Download as > PowerPoint and you’re all set!